Saturday, December 5, 2015

Making Your Own Work: week 15





Finishing up with this part of the semester of creating our own work, I continued following Gerhard Ritcher's process of scrapping away with the squeegee. I also have continued with scratching in the human figure in order to move forward with the conversation between the abstract and the representational. In my work I encompassed the representational figure with the abstract as a way to hide the image. With the last few pieces I left a portion of the campus white as a way to create a sense of grounding. The first paintings I didn't do this which gave the figure I placed with in it the feeling that the figure is floating rather than being anchored down to a ground. My use in the human figure (male and female) was a way to take a concrete representational form and contradict it against the abstract. Hiding the figure with in the painting allows me to express how typically people hide their true selves to others. With my paintings, the viewer has to get up close in order to see the figure. This can be taking as a metaphor that one has to get close to someone before they reveal their true self.

No comments:

Post a Comment